Chief Science Officers
Laveen schools elect 13 students to participate in a state-wide STEM program. Chief Science Officers serve as STEM ambassadors and promote STEM programs. The purpose of the institute was to help CSOs learn how to advocate for STEM on their own campus.
Want to participate in local STEM events? View the CSO Top Picks. All events are free and feature hands-on activities.
October 28, 2016: Laveen’s Chief Science Officers visited the state capitol to participate in the Capitol Summit with Governor Doug Ducey. During the summit our CSOs joined other Chief Science Officers from around the state to hear from legislators and ultimately create proposals for Governor Ducey. At the end of the day, every CSO actively participated in presenting to Governor Ducey. This activity is one of several activities designed to engage students in promoting STEM education around the state.
October 1, 2016: Chief Science Officers from across the district attended the Chief Science Officers (CSO) Institute on October . Students had the opportunity to collaborate with other CSOs from all over the valley. Laveen’s CSOs will meet with their teacher sponsor to help create a STEM plan for their school. CSOs from 7 Laveen School District Schools were represented in this years Fall institute. During the institute students had the opportunity to do the following:
- TEAM BUILDING ACTIVITIES – experience STEM-focused challenges and build friendships and trust with their peers
- SciTech EXPLORATIONS & SHOWCASE – develop and execute an engaging SciTech demonstration (ASU Science is Fun – prep work required)
- VISION STATEMENTS – develop a vision statement and personal “elevator pitch”
- STEM INNOVATIONS – experience hands-on opportunities with new technologies like coding, 3D printing, robotics and more.
- NETWORKING 101 – practice communication skills and an “elevator pitch” with fellow CSOs
CSO Event Schedule
Statewide CSO Cabinet Meeting
February 28, 2017 / Time TBA
Honeywell Aerospace Airplane Hangar
Mesa Public Schools’ SciTech Expo
February 25, 2017 / 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Skyline High School
On Campus Action Plans Due
March 31, 2017
District-Wide Science Fair
May 3, 2017
SciTech Celebration CSO Graduation